Thursday 6 March 2014

Surviving that difficult first night

Week one, day two:  First night above.

It’s morning.  I didn’t sleep if I’m honest though I’m sure that’s not really a surprise.  I’d hoped to find somewhere to rest, a cave maybe, perhaps a building with most of its roof still on but after several hours walking I still hadn’t found anything substantial or enclosed.   I guess thinking about it, whoever built the city didn’t want to draw attention to it; after all it was supposed to be a shelter for the future so it would make sense for them to put it somewhere isolated, away from anything that might be a good target in a war.  I think maybe they did too good a job of hiding it and eventually, over time it got forgotten.  You see I’d been thinking about my conversation with the mayor, about his answer when I’d asked about other cities and it seemed obvious to me that there must be more.  I mean if ours was the only one, then what would have happened if the air conditioning had failed or the generators stopped working?  I couldn’t imagine that the politicians and generals from the past would take such a risk with the future of their people, especially since it was obvious even to me that the city represented a massive undertaking, a huge commitment of resources for a country about to enter a devastating war.  No, the more I thought about it, the more obvious it was that others must exist somewhere; waiting for a signal to tell them it was safe for their people to leave and take back the world they’d lost.  I found the thought strangely comforting though of course I didn’t dare go looking nor did I expect a warm welcome if I did find one.  If nothing else, the mayor convinced me that hoping for anything else was pointless; whatever the original intentions of those who built the underground world I’d grown up in, the cities were now the domain of small minded petty dictators determined to hold on to power at any cost.  I was almost glad to have left, almost.

Whatever my feelings for my former home, however confused and conflicted I felt about the circumstances under which I’d left, there was at least one thing I was clear about; staying near my former home would result in a slow, painful death either by dehydration or starvation if the mayor didn’t tire of me first and send out a guard to put me down like a sick animal.  With this in mind I spent the first day walking, making sure to keep the blocky, decaying buildings that camouflaged the city directly behind me at least until they were swallowed by the horizon.  I won’t repeat the troubles I had with the open space, if you’re reading this then you already know how hard being outside was for me and you can imagine how slow my progress was.  On day one of my exile I don’t think I managed to travel more than ten miles, a distance I was easily capable of running in an hour or so at home and regularly had on the treadmills of the public gyms.  By the time the sky had darkened and it was clear that night was on its way, I still hadn’t found somewhere to shelter.   Feeling exposed, vulnerable and desperate, my agoraphobia faded enough for me to be able to move a little quicker and following a wide avenue between the trees that later turned out to be a pre war road, I began to search more and more frantically for somewhere to hide from the approaching night.

The road petered out eventually, the roots of the trees having broken through the surface, making it hard to see where the road had been but not before I found myself standing in the ruins of what was once a village.  Not one building was complete and few had walls that still stood higher than my waist.  As far as shelter went, it didn’t offer much more than the trees had but at least it was man-made which helped a little even if it meant I had `to lie down on the floor and huddle against the sagging bricks.  I didn’t spend too long looking for somewhere to rest, I just followed one wall until it met another and wedged myself in to the corner.    With the sun gone the temperature started to fall and for the first time in my life I began to feel cold.  Belatedly I remembered the lighter I’d found in my pocket earlier in the day and cursed myself for not collecting wood to start a fire but it was too dark now and I didn’t want to risk hurting myself by climbing over uneven piles of bricks looking for something to burn.  Shivering, I pulled my knees to my chest and wrapped my arms around them, wishing I had something thicker and more substantial than the thin, fashionable jacket I was wearing to keep me warm.  It was beginning to dawn on me just how hard surviving would be I mean I hadn’t expected it to be easy but there were so many things I hadn’t thought about, things I’d taken for granted back home, things like keeping warm for example.  Living in an air-conditioned place like the city I’d never had to worry about getting cold, I could have spent most of my time walking about in my underwear and still been warm enough though I’m not sure I’d have enjoyed the kind of attention doing that would have got me. Now though, faced with a new environment that could change daily for all I knew, I realised that finding or making better clothes would have to be a priority if I wanted to survive more than a few days.  Then there was food and water, other things that had been readily available back home but now I’d have to find on my own.  I’d also need some kind of shelter preferably near both, have to learn how to make and use tools and weapons and teach myself how to hunt.

Something rattled a few feet away making me jump.  I listened, heart pounding, staring in to the darkness and heard the sound of something skittering across the rubble.  I didn’t manage to see what had made the noise but it reminded me that the surface was probably full of wild animals, some of which were more than likely dangerous.  I pulled out the knife I’d salvaged from the warehouse and inspected the blade, unsurprised to find it was blunt.  Thinking that a spear might be more use than the knife alone as a weapon, I decided I needed to find some kind of pole to use as a handle and something to sharpen it with.  Sighing, I put it back carefully in my belt, trying not to split the fragile plastic band with the metal and dropped my head back on to my arms.  Although whatever I’d heard had sounded small the knowledge that something was out there and that I couldn’t see it, wouldn’t see it if it decided to come and investigate the strange creature shivering in the dark left me unnerved and more unable to sleep than ever.  Fighting the waves of nausea that surged through me every time I looked up, I tried to peer in to the darkness to see what had made the noise but apart from a brief glimpse of something that looked like two pinpricks of light hovering in the air several feet away I didn’t see any signs of life.  Blinking, I looked again, not sure I’d really seen anything at all but whatever it was had gone.  Several times through the night I thought I saw it again but every time I turned my head or moved it disappeared leaving me with the unpleasant feeling I was being watched by something but whatever it was out there in the dark, it didn’t try to come any closer.

Alone, tired, hungry, cold, and terrified, I felt overwhelmed but as tempting as it was, I still couldn’t bring myself to give up.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not particularly strong or brave but I am very stubborn or so my parents have always told me and the thought of the mayor and his smug lack of faith in my ability to survive annoyed me.  Even though I knew I’d probably never see him again, I felt the need to prove him wrong, to show that I, Laura was tougher, more resourceful than he believed, that this fragile girl from the uncelebrated middle levels of society could survive when everyone else had give up on her.  Maybe that sounds melodramatic, over the top but the truth is I did feel the odds were against me.  If he’d really thought I had a chance he’d have given me blankets, a coat, some rations, maybe even a good weapon but no, so sure was he I’d be dead in a few days he hadn’t bothered to risk wasting the resources he could so easily spare leaving me to scavenge and struggle for even the most basic things I needed to get by.  Knowing I’d been so easily dismissed by someone who’d never had to fight for anything in his life made me angry and even more determined.   

With a start I realised that it wasn’t quite as dark as it had been and that I could see shapes in the gloom, piles of rubble, the outlines of buildings against the sky and I realised that the night was nearly over and more importantly, I’d survived.  Sure I hadn’t slept or eaten and I felt like I’d never manage to be properly warm again but at least nothing was going to sneak up on me without me seeing it.  Even better, I found that my fear of the open had faded a little and while being outside was still making me feel extremely uncomfortable, at least I didn’t feel nearly as sick when I looked up or around.   I began to think that maybe my sense of optimism wasn’t quite so misplaced and that maybe I really could make it up here alone.  I didn’t move straight away, I waited for it to get light enough to explore the ruins better in the hope that something useful might still be lying around but I didn’t have much luck.  The only thing I took with me in the end was a knife sharpening stone from the remains of a building that seemed to have been some kind of shop once judging by the odd jumble of bits and pieces lying around inside.  How did I know what the stone was for?  I didn’t, it was a guess and one that I tested by running the block up and down the blade of my knife a few times then gently flicking the edge with my thumb. After nearly cutting myself I decided I was right and since I wasn’t keen to spend a second night in the same place, I left the village without looking back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment